If your house has two or more levels, chances are that you also have stairs. Instead of using your body to block your baby from climbing those stairs, how about using one of the best baby gates for stairs on the market today?
Yes! Baby gates are one of the most efficient ways of preventing unwanted injury to babies who climb stairs without supervision.
But, if this is your first time buying a baby gate for stairs, you may not know which one will work best for you. In that case, stick around and keep reading. Let me tell you all about the five best baby gates for stairs.
Best Baby Gates for Stairs Reviews
1. Evenflo Top of Stair Plus Gate
Evenflo is certainly not new to making baby gear. Their baby gates for stairs are not strange to the market either. In fact, this brand is one of the best brands on the market today. This baby gate makes my top five list because of several reasons including its expandability and overall ease of use.
There are many great features to love about the Evenflo Top of Stairs Plus Gate. From its removable swing control to the 4-point hardware that makes it easy to relocate or remove after installation, it’s simply a great product. Another great feature of this Evenflo baby gate is its ability to expand from 30 inches to 48 inches. Plus, it only weighs 7.7 pounds so if you have to move it around, it won’t be too heavy.
However, there are a few things that I didn’t like about it. First, it’s not recommended for babies over 12 months. For some parents, this is the time when they’ll really need that baby gate to work. And, you should only use it for the top of the stairs. This doesn’t make it very versatile in its use.
2. Fairy Baby Safety Metal Walk-Thru Gate
Fairy Baby manufactures many affordable baby items. This baby gate is no different. In fact, it has quite a lot of features that I consider to be great. And, most of all, you’ll love the convenience of using the gate as it fits many spaces and is very easy to install.
The Fairy Baby Safety Metal Walk-Thru Gate is a pressure-mounted baby gate made specifically for stairways, hallways, and doorways. It can be used in many other wide openings too as it can be expanded to fit spaces that are 25.6 inches to 27.9 inches wide. And, because it is pressure-mounted, it’s very easy to move from one area to another.
One of the few drawbacks that really needs some improvement is the weight; even though it’s made to be versatile, it’s so heavy that it may be a challenge to move around. Another area that needs some fixing is the range of expansion. But, overall, the build quality and overall function of the gate is great.
- Pressure mounted - Easy to install and remove with no tools requires. Pack of 1*Safety Gate (White), screws and instruction manual
- This gate fits Spaces between 24.0" and 27.55" Wide, stands 31 inches tall. If you need wider size, please contact us
- Convenient walk through and durable steel design. Perfect for wide openings, doorways, hallways and staircases
- One hand open with double locking feature. Great for Children and Pets Too!
- Swings open in both directions for convenience. And the door automatically springback after walking through
3. Cardinal Gates Stairway Special Safety Gate
The Cardinal Gates Stairway Special Safety Gate is designed for use at the top of a stairway. But, it’s quite versatile in how it can be used. It passes all the required safety tests and is very easy to install. It’s very clear to see why it has made this list for the best five baby gates for stairs.
The Stairway Special Gate is made by a very reputable company, Cardinal Gates, and is one of the strongest baby gates on the market today. One of the best things about the gate is its expandable range. It’s able to go from 27 inches to 42.5 inches, but you can purchase a separate extension piece that can extend it by 10 more inches.
Unfortunately, there are a few limitations to this product. Perhaps the most noticeable is the difficulty that may occur when assembling and installing it. Although it comes with instructions, it’s quite tedious to put together, especially since many other baby gates require little to no assembly.
- A maximum safety gate designed for the top of a stairway but it's great for all areas
- one hand operation for adults ( the latch system baffles toddlers )
- Has an optional stop bracket that prevents opening over a stairway for greater safety
- It will mount at angles up to 30 degrees with quick and simple installation
- Width is adjustable 27"-42.5 Height is 29.5"
4. Dreambaby Chelsea Auto Close Security Gate
If you’re looking for an affordable, durable, and reliable baby gate, the Dreambaby Chelsea Auto Close Security Gate should be high on your list of options because it’s a parent’s dream. With its one-hand operation, ease of installation, and generous extension range, it’s certainly one of the best products of its kind on the market today.
Made solely of lightweight metal, this baby gate is one of the easiest products to operate. It has a fairly common type of locking mechanism. But, it is quite effective in keeping babies safe from falling down the stairs. As it relates to size, this particular gate expands up to 39 inches wide but with additional extensions, it can go up to 188 inches.
Since the locking system is fairly standard, you may find that you experience a little difficulty in ensuring that the gate closes every time you pass through it. But, you can always use the lock icon on the gate to tell whether it’s open or closed.
- MEASURE YOUR OPENING BEFORE PURCHASING - This gate kit with extensions fits openings 28-35.5" using the included 3.5" extension panel. It will not fit any opening smaller than 28". If your opening is larger than 35.5" you will require an additional purchase of an extension.
- VERSATILE AND DEPENDABLE- Our Dreambaby Chelsea gate is loaded with features to not only help make your life easier but safer too. Versatile indeed, it can accommodate openings of 28-35.5" wide and is 29.5" tall. Using optional extensions sold separately, the gate can be extended up to 188."
- QUICK AND EASY OPERATION- With the Chelsea pressure mounted gate, installation is a breeze and using it is even easier. The gate allows for one-handed operation and the double action locking feature helps keep even the most curious toddlers at bay.
- SMART STAY-OPEN, AUTO-CLOSE- Doing laundry, entertaining guests, making dinner? With the convenience of Smart Stay-Open, the Chelsea gate can be made to stay open whenever you choose. However, for all other times, it has the convenience of Auto-Close, which ensures constant and reliable safety of a gate that closes automatically from any distance, every time.
- GREAT FOR PETS- Made of strong, high-quality materials it's perfect for even the most eager pets!
5. The Stair Barrier Baby and Pet Gate
The most expensive of all five products, the Stair Barrier Baby and Pet Gate is a premium gate made for installing at the bottom of a staircase. It’s particularly suited for use from banister to banister and doesn’t involve pressure mounting nor does it require tools or screws for installing. It’s one of the easiest baby gates to install and because of its high-quality and effectiveness, I just had to include it in this review.
One of the best things about this banister gate is that it is weather-proof. It’s made of very durable fabric that can withstand all the outdoor elements. This is just one of the features that make it stand out from many other products on the market today. And, if it’s not in use, you can easily retract it to the side or remove it by unclipping it from the banister.
However, the manufacturers are yet to make going through this barrier easy. It’s quite a challenge to undo all three clips when passing and then fasten them again. So, that’s one area that can be improved. Plus, it has a very hefty price tag.
- EASY INSTALL! You will spend more time removing the Stair Barrier from its packaging than you will installing it on your stairs. Easy to setup, easy to use, no drilling and no assembly required. Rolls to the side when not in use. It's a hero when needed and in the shadows when not
- VERSTAILE USE! Useful as a safety gate, baby and toddler gate, pet (large and small dogs) gate, or both! Internal plastic struts and heavy duty webbing prevent the Stair Barrier from being pulled down or lifted up. Whether you have a curious toddler or a playful puppy, Stair Barrier keeps them safe. With a Stair Barrier installed, they can't get upstairs or hurt themselves trying
- WORKS WITH ANY BANNISTER! Stair Barriers attach to ANY bannister type. Volute, fluted or square? It doesn't matter and you don't need to be a professional carpenter because the Stair Barrier's easy-to-use strap and buckle system attaches to any shape of banister. Stair Barrier also installs on an angle. It couldn't be simpler!
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR - WEATHER RESISTANT! Need to gate your backyard deck or staircase? Our two indoor/outdoor fabric options are weather and mildew resistant and a great for both indoor and outdoor use
- SAFE AND TESTED! Stair Barriers are designed specifically for the bottom of the stairs and meet the General and Performance Requirements of ASTM F1004, Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Expansion Gates and Expandable Enclosures
Now for the answer to the question that you’ve been waiting for. Which product is my top pick? After careful consideration, I’d have to say it’s the Dreambaby Chelsea Auto Close Security Gate. It has all the features you’d need in a baby gate and a very affordable price tag. Second in line would be the Cardinal Gates Stairway Special Safety Gate which is a very strong and durable option.
Last update on 2018-09-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API