As your child begins to crawl, walk, or even pull themselves up onto furniture and other items, you’ll quickly realize how unsafe your house is.
It’s not that it suddenly became unsafe overnight. But, now that your baby is exploring every small area of your home, you’ll find that there are many dangerous areas for an exploring child. This is where a baby gate comes in. It’ll allow your exploring baby to be limited in where they can go.
In this article, we’ll look at some of the best baby gates on the market today. So, if your baby has started to crawl around or you’re anticipating that first crawl, you’d better keep reading!
Best Baby Gates Reviews
1. Safety 1st Easy Install Auto-Close Gate
Safety 1st has made quite a name for itself over the years. It’s a brand that consistently manufactures and distributes affordable yet durable and functional baby gear. This product is no different. It has a sturdy construction all while having a very affordable price tag. Unlike many baby gates on the market today, the Safety 1st Easy Install Auto Close Gate is quite remarkable. It is a pressure-mounted gate that can be mounted in door openings or other openings that have a wall on either side. Based on its design and the materials it is made of, this baby gate should be quite durable. And, if you have pets, it works great for them too.
As a parent, one of the first things that you’ll want to look for when purchasing baby products is safety, and this gate is safe to use around your little one. Once it is correctly mounted, you don’t have to worry about the gate toppling over because little hands and feet are climbing on it. It’s made of child-safe materials, so, if your baby happens to take a bite, there are no harmful chemicals that will affect them.
Other things that make this product a great choice are the easy installation and setup as well as the quick pull down. The door of the gate is made to close automatically; it has a magnetic strip that latches automatically, and you can see from a distance whether it is locked or unlocked because of a very distinctive icon on the gate.
- This sturdy Safety 1st baby gate can be opened with one hand and adjusted to fit doorways and openings ranging from 29 to 38 inches wide.
- Pressure-mounted installation requires no tools, drilling, or hardware and allows for setting up quickly and easily in doors or pass-through areas.
- A magnetic latch causes the baby gate to close and lock automatically, and the SecureTech indicator tells you at a glance that the gate is secure.
- Easily create a safe space for children in your home or when visiting family and friends by using this 28-inch-high adjustable baby gate in doorways, hallways, staircases, and more.
- Includes one pressure-mounted baby gate.
What's to like about the Safety 1st Easy Install Auto-Close Gate
There’s plenty to love about this gate. But, one of the features that I love the most is the customizable width. Not every passageway or stairway will be the same size, and Safety 1st has made sure that this product can meet the needs of many parents.
Another great thing about this product is the price. In fact, if you don’t wish to spend a fortune on a baby gate that you may only use for a year or two, then this is a great buy. For the materials used and all the benefits that you’ll enjoy while using this baby gate, the cost is worth it.
What's not to like about the Safety 1st Easy Install Auto-Close Gate
Although the door of the gate is made to latch automatically, there are instances where it may seem to be closed but isn’t. Thankfully, there’s also an icon that you can use to tell if it is locked. Another feature that could be improved is the overall quality of the gate. Although it’s quite durable, the gate feels lightweight and the quality isn’t up to the standard of many other gates.
2. Supergate Easy Close Gate
At first glance, it is easy to see that the Supergate Easy Close Gate is a well-designed product. It’s made of great materials and has a nice height that should be able to prevent most toddlers and even pets from climbing over. But, best of all, it requires zero assembly. Imagine that! A very effective pressure gate that is reasonable in price and you won’t have to deal with tools and all the hard work.
So, why do we think that this baby gate is one of the best? There are several reasons. The first and most important reason is how the gate operates. You can open it in either direction as the door swings both ways. And, it can fit areas that are up to 38.5 inches in width. Because it’s so easy to install and pull down, it’s easy to use it in multiple places throughout your home as it’s needed. And, this will not make it any less durable as it’s made of very good materials.
- WORRY-FREE SAFETY: The Easy-Close Gate shuts firmly yet easily with one simple push, keeping your child safe and secure.
- STYLISH AND DEPENDABLE: The crisp white finish of this safety gate will complement any home décor while its heavy-duty steel construction is built to last!
- LOADED WITH CONVENIENT FEATURES: The safety gate swings open both ways for added convenience and offers a triple locking system for peace of mind. To keep the child gate open for multiple pass-throughs, simply use the hold-open feature to prevent the gate from closing. Hard-to-climb barrier
- ADJUSTABLE FOR A VARIETY OF SPACES: This baby gate pressure mounts easily by using tension knobs to secure the gate in place. Ideal for a variety of room openings or at the bottom of stairs measuring 28" to 38.5" wide and is 29" high.
- BABY SAFE: Safe for babies ages 6-24 months
What's to like about the Supergate Easy Close Gate
One of the great things that you’ll notice about this gate if you’re on a budget is its price. For a product that has such great features and a great construction, it’s amazing that it has such an incredibly low price.
Another fantastic feature about this product is its ability to extend to fit wider openings. Although it’s pressure mounted, and it is designed to fit between two walls, if the opening is much larger than the norm, the gate should still fit well.
What's not to like about the Supergate Easy Close Gate
Unfortunately, the Supergate Easy Close Gate isn’t the perfect product; there are some downsides such as the locking mechanism and the narrow passage that you have to walk through. But, apart from these minor drawbacks, I really do consider this product to be one of the best baby gates on the market today.
3. Summer Infant Decorative Wood & Metal 5 Foot Pressure Mounted Gate
Summer Infant is a well-known baby brand that manufactures baby products of amazing quality. This Decorative Wood & Metal Pressure Mounted Gate is one of their premium baby gates. It boasts many superior features when compared to other gates and although the price tag is a bit higher, it’s still quite affordable when compared to the high-end products.
One unique feature of this baby gate is the materials that it’s made of. There’s a combination of metal and wood on the gate, giving it a very stylish design. This baby gate features a very secure locking system too. And, it’s the biggest baby gate mentioned in this review.
- Pressure mounted installation for between rooms with hardware included for top of stair use
- Accommodates openings 28" to 42.5" wide; stands tall at 30"
- Comfort grip handle with dual locking operation; can be opened and closed with one hand
- Versatile, provides a secure barrier for pets. Does not damage walls
- Walnut wood and charcoal accent finish blends with any home décor
What's to like about the Summer Infant Decorative Wood & Metal 5 Foot Pressure Mounted Gate
There’s a whole lot to love about this product, so much so, the real question may be what’s not to like? From the beautiful design, the materials used for the gate, the size of the gate, the locking mechanism and even the color, Summer Infant did an excellent job.
What's not to like about the Summer Infant Decorative Wood & Metal 5 Foot Pressure Mounted Gate
As awesome as this product is, there are still a few improvements that could be made. One area that could be much more convenient is the mechanism of locking the gate. It’s a little challenging, though manageable, to close the gate with just one hand.
4. Munchkin Easy Close Metal Baby Gate
If you are a parent, chances are that you are already familiar with the Munchkin brand. It’s a brand of baby items that are affordable yet very functional and durable. Like many other baby gates, it’s locking system is magnetic. But, this Munchkin gate has a dual locking system that is much more efficient and safe. And, if you’d rather forego pressure mounting, you have the choice of mounting it with wall cups – a feature that not many baby gates offer.
With the Munchkin Easy Close Metal Baby Gate, you don’t have to worry about locking the gate behind you. The hinges are gravity fed, so it shuts firmly after being opened, no matter from which direction it was opened. It fits areas up to 35 inches and you can even purchase additional extension pieces if your opening is larger.
- Measures: 29.5" tall and 29.5" - 35" wide with the included (1) 2.75" extension (fits up to 54" wide with if additional extensions are purchased). Measure your desired opening prior to purchase to ensure a proper fit
- Easy to use; simply push gate to close and lock
- Dual-locking mechanism allows door to swing in both directions
- Pressure-fit baby gate with hardware included for added safety
- Includes (1) white Easy Close Safety Gate with (1) 2.75" extension to fit openings up to 35"; additional extensions are available for purchase on Amazon
What's to like about the Munchkin Easy Close Metal Baby Gate
One of the best things about this baby gate is how easy it is to use. It also has a very generous width too, and, don’t forget that you can expand the size even more. This is relatively rare, but amazing find for a baby gate, and yet it’s so affordable. Plus, there’s a one-year warranty on your purchase.
What's not to like about the Munchkin Easy Close Metal Baby Gate
Although this is such a great gate, it’s quite an inconvenience to double check if the gate is actually locked after you’ve gone through. It’s also pretty easy to open that even toddlers may be able to figure it out.
5. Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Gate
One of the first things that stand out about the Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Gate is the price. In fact, it is the cheapest option of all five products mentioned. But, it is by no means the least. It has a very convenient design and incorporates a very handy locking mechanism. If you’re wondering about the brand, there’s no need to. Regalo has been around for several years and they’ve made many incredible baby products that deliver great service.
So, what makes this one of the best baby gates? In addition to its convenience, it is very wide, and it can be extended up to 39 inches. It’s also very easy to set up, and it can be pressure or hardware mounted, but it first requires some assembly.
- EXTRA WIDE: Expands to fit openings between 29-34 and 35-38.5 inches wide. Stands 30 inches tall. Please be sure measure your opening prior to purchase to ensure proper fit. Note: This gate will not fit an opening between 34-35 Inch.
- EASY TO USE AND SET UP: Pressure mount design that is quick to set up. Please note, before installation there will be a gap between the gate latch and the frame which is NOT a defect and it is NOT bent. This gap will be eliminated once installed.
- ADJUSTABLE: Includes a 6-inch wide extension kit and 4 pressure mount spindle rods. Perfect for doorway, hallway and bottom of stair use. Gate can quickly be removed out of the opening for easy storage. Additional extensions sold separately.
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door. Certified to both JPMA and ASTM standards.
- SAFETY: Includes multiple safety-lock features, four wall cups for added security and mounting hardware. Please note, gate frame is design to be assembled at all times. Perfect for children 6-24 months. Great for PETS TOO.
What's to like about the Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Gate
Based on the quality of this product and the overall design, it’s clear that Regalo really thought about making this product very effective. One feature that impresses me most is its ability to be extended. But, I’m also pretty impressed by the material used as it’s all metal.
What's not to like about the Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Gate
Of course, there are a few areas where Regalo could have improved the product. For example, the opening on the gate. It’s a pretty small opening, so if you’re on the larger side, you may have to go through it sideways. Also, the door only swings open in one direction, so it’s a bit inconvenient at times.
As your sweet, little baby grows bigger and gets older, it becomes much easier for them to get into all sorts of areas that you may not have previously considered as dangerous. It’s completely natural for a baby to explore their environment and discover new things.
But, it’s essential to keep them safe as they do so. Having a baby gate is a very effective way to keep them confined in a very safe area. But, there are a few things that you should look for before purchasing a baby gate. No one wants to buy a baby gate that doesn’t do a great job.
Here are two very important features that should always be at the top of your list. Once you pay attention to these features, it is highly likely that you’ll end up purchasing a gate that does a great job.
The Size of the Gate
In this case, size does matter. You can’t expect to buy a random baby gate, and have it fit at the bottom of your stairway or between the walls of your hallway. Remember, your stairway may be wider than others. So, you’ve got to check the width of the gate you’re purchasing.
Nowadays, many manufacturers are making extendable baby gates. If the regular-sized gate doesn’t fit your space, it should fit once extended. Still, there are variations to these extensions. So, make sure that the gate you purchase, and your opening will work well together.
The height of the gate is also very important. If your child is taller or loves to climb, a shorter gate may be easy to get over. Some gates are much higher than 30 inches while others aren’t so tall. Make sure you do your due diligence before purchasing.
How it’s Mounted
There are two different ways that your baby gate may be mounted. It may be pressure or hardware mounted. Some products will even give you the option of selecting how you mount it by including both sets of hardware.
There’s a big difference in these two types of installation. Hardware mounting requires tools and some expertise, while pressure mounting just requires a little patience. So, if you’re interested in a more permanent solution, a hardware-mounted baby gate may be a better choice for you.
If you’re more interested in a solution that you can move from room to room, a pressure-mounted gate may be a better option. It is the general consensus that hardware-mounted baby gates are safer too. So, if safety is your priority, having a hardware-mounted gate is a great solution.
Are there different types of baby gates?
There are pressure-mounted gates and hardware-mounted models. Pressure-mounted gates are easy to move around while hardware-mounted ones are a more permanent solution and generally safer to use. Baby gates come in different colors and shapes too. So, there’s a lot of variation that you choose from. Just be sure to look for all the features that you absolutely need.
Do all baby gates come in the same size?
Baby gates tend to come in different sizes. This includes both the height and width of the gate. So, if you need a gate that’s a bit higher or wider, it’s possible to find one. Some gates are as wide as 60 inches (after extensions are added) and some are well over 30 inches high. Be sure to find the size that fits your space and make sure your child won’t be able to climb over it.
What tools will I need to install a baby gate?
Some baby gates are easier to install than others. If it’s pressure mounted, you won’t need tools, unless the gate has to be assembled. But, if it’s hardware mounted, check the instructions for the tools needed. Some products will supply all the equipment needed to install it.
Is a baby gate really safe to use?
Once properly mounted, baby gates are very safe. Hardware mounted gates tend to be safer as they’re more difficult to topple over. But, pressure mounted gates can be just as safe once they’re properly secured to your walls.
How do I clean my baby gate?
Cleaning a baby gate is very easy. Be sure not to use harsh chemicals as your child may put their hands and mouth on it. So, wiping it with a kid-friendly solution is all it should need.
If you’ve read through this article thoroughly, then you know how tough it is to select a top product from all the incredible options mentioned. However, if I had to choose just one it would be the Summer Infant Decorative Wood & Metal 5 Foot Pressure Mounted Gate.
Although it’s a bit pricey, it is very safe, very sturdy and it can fit even very wide spaces. If you’re not so keen on spending so much money, the Safety 1st Easy Install Auto Close Gate would be my second choice. However, all five products are some of the best baby gates you’ll come across.Read our detailed Buyer's Guide on Baby Gate to get an idea of 3 important checkpoints before buying a baby gate and 7 most critical points that you must see in a baby gate.Also make sure the baby gate you are buying are certified by Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) as well, which ensures that the baby gate has been tested by an independent facility and met all the guidelines that were set by standards developer ASTM International
This post contains affiliate links, which means every time you make a purchase using a link we will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.