We are sure you will agree with us if we say sunglasses are not only a fashion accessory.Given the rising temperature during the summer and through the year due to global warming,it is an absolute necessity.
Doctors have suggested that it is equally important to protect your baby's eyes by switching to a baby sunglass as early as possible.Because continuous exposure of direct sunlight in naked eyes can be the cause of developing cataracts in the late stage.
But how to choose the correct baby sunglasses for your little one?We are here to help you.This detailed guide will help you to know more about the benefits of using baby sunglasses,tips to choose the correct baby sunglass and a list of the best baby sunglasses to to save your time.
Benefits of Baby Sunglasses-Why does the baby need it?
The way we adults see and babies see differ.In bright sunlight,our pupils can adjust themselves to restrict the amount of light enters in our eyes.In addition to this,the pigments present in the iris can also filter those UV light.
UV rays are harmful and continuous exposure to UV rays can cause multiple long term eye issues such as Cataracts,Macular degeneration,eye caners,Skin cancer on the eyelid,Corneal sunburn, Pterygium and so on.
A baby’s eyes don't have the fully developed pigment in the lens of the eye.So eyes should be protected by any mean from those potential UV rays reaching the back of the retina and causing further harm.By using a baby sunglass you can protect your baby from all these problems.
When should you introduce sunglasses to your babies?
It is always suggested to keep your babies away from the direct sunlight.Because this period is not only dangerous for baby's skin it is for baby's eyes as well.You surely have noticed how babies close their eyes when they are under the bright sunlight.If at all,you have to take the baby outside,make sure his eyes are well protected or cover by some other means.
However,Once the baby is 6 months it is time to switch to a baby sunglass. Some babies will might try to resist wearing a sunglass and that is quite normal. Here you have to show a little patience and pursue harder.For some babies it will be almost effortless process, as they can recognize other members from the family wearing this and happily want to be a part of it too.
10 Critical Points to consider before buying a Baby Sunglass- Buyer's Guide
Before buying a baby sunglass make sure you are considering all the following critical points.
#1 UV Protection
The very basic objective of having a baby sunglass is to protect the baby from the harmful UVA and UVB rays. Make sure that the glass is able to block at least 95 percent of the rays. If it is less than that than probably it will be a good idea to choose a better one.
Many of us has a misconception that a tinted glass is able to block sun rays more efficiently than a transparent glass.In reality,a darker lens might allow more light into the eye because the pupils will tend to open up more in order to let the light come and see better.Do not worry much about the tint as long as the baby sunglass is able to block the UV sun rays perfectly.
There are two major colours that you have to select from.One is the colour amber or yellow because they can block the blue light and another is gray lenses because it offers more true colours. The most recommend option is the gray coloured lenses.
Polarization controls the glare and makes object appear sharper.It is real important feature for adult sunglasses, but it is always good have such features in the baby sunglasses as well,especially if you are taking the baby to beaches.Polarization is not to be confused with the UV protection as they are not same.For better comfort of the eyes, it is always suggested to for the Polarized sunglasses. It might cost you a little extra, but it will be worth investing for your little one.
#5. Material & Safety
Safety should be considered as the utmost priority.You know how the babies will react when you put a sunglass on them.They might through it away or can take off from their eyes and start playing with him by hitting the pair on the floor.So you need to select that are sturdy and won't break easily if dropped. Poly-carbonate lenses are the best lenses for this because it is resistant to breakage.The Poly-carbonate lenses are approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well.
In some sunglasses you will also see the other certificates like Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) which certifies that the product is free from the harmful material like lead, phthalates and BPA.
Light can leak in from the sides,so the optimal design should be something which is a wraparound.While selecting a frame go for something which wraps around a child’s head.Try to avoid the frames which sits on then nose.Continuous use of this kind frame can leave a mark on the nose permanently.
Size information is something which is often missed by the parents before buying one. And by the time they realize it, is is too late.Since most of the manufacturers launch sunglasses in the market for kids who are between 3-10 years of age, finding a baby sunglass can become a difficult task.The sunglasses that we have reviewed in this article are perfect for babies as they come in smaller sizes as well.
Always go for a brand who are specialist in making safety-wear products rather than choosing a company which basically sells any baby products.If you are selecting a budget baby sunglass,make sure to get it checked by an optometrist. Using a machine like spectrometer the UV rating can be found out within few seconds just by running a simple test.
For better security,go for baby sunglass which will stay on the baby's face. The ideal choice for this would be something which has a velcro strap.However, for older babies and toddlers you can easily select a sunglass which are like adult sunglasses and secured over the ears.
kids can't understand the importance of putting on baby sunglasses, they can throw it away,break it or can damage it by other means.So I would recommend to make a balance a between both quality and price at the time of buying a sunglass. So that even if those get damaged or lost you won't mind a mind getting a new one.
Top 10 Best Baby Sunglasses
We have analyzed the features and reviews of the most popular baby sunglasses. Here is the list of top 10 best baby sunglasses that you should definitely consider buying for your baby.
#1. Kushies Sunglasses-Best Sunglasses for the Newborns
Like we said earlier,Babies don't have sufficient pigmentation to filter UV light,so it is very important that we protect those little eyes with the best possible protection available. Kushies sunglasses are the perfect choice for this as this model of baby sunglass has been made just by keeping that in mind.
This baby sunglass comes in two different sizes and one of them is particularly for the newborn babies.
The sunglass is made of 100 percent Dupont rubber which makes it one of the toughest baby sunglasses available in the market.Its frames are quite safe and not made of any harmful chemical products like lead, PVC, BPA, phthalates etc.
The gray-based lenses met the standard specifications set by the American Optometric Association.
- Blocks 100% of the Sun's Harmful UVA & UVB Rays!
- Made of flexible Dupont rubber
- Polycarbonate impact & scratch resistant lenses
- Newborn size fits 0-12 months
- Toddler size fits 12+ months
#2. Minishade Flexible Polarized Toddler Sunglasses-Best Polarized Toddler's Sunglasses
Minishade is an expert when it comes to making adult polarized sunglasses and they have shown the same expertise for this flexible toddler sunglasses as well.The specialty about the polarized lenses is that they can reduce the glare to a large extent and block 100% of the harmful UV rays.
The frames are much durable and because of the flexible rubberized material it can't be broken that easily.
- Hide n' Seek Loss and Damage Warranty- Lose or damage them once and get another pair under warranty
- Safe, Strong and Super Cute
- 100% Polarized UV protection &impact resistant
- Specially formulated rubber material is virtually indestructible, super comfy and fashionably on-trend
- Fits ages 0-3
The price is a little on the higher side,but they do offer guarantee against both breakage.So even if you misplace or lose it within the warranty period, you are going to get a new pair of sunglass from them.
#3. Babiators Original Aviator Sunglasses-The second best baby sunglass for newborn
Babiator baby sunglasses are another great product specially designed for newborns.It can easily fit their small faces and do not fall off.
The pair is made of a flexible frame and equipped with shatterproof lenses.So no matter how much babies can , twist, drop or and pull the sunglasses it won’t break.In fact,Babiators is so confident in this, they are offering a one year guarantee against breakage.
Sunglasses can make babies uncomfortable and from time to time they will try to pull it off from their faces.To avoid this kind of situation,Babiators baby sunglasses
are designed to avoid pinch or discomfort near the nose and ears,so that babies don't even feel a thing.
The sunglass can protect 100 percent UVA and UVB harmful rays.
- KIDS AVIATOR SUNGLASSES: With UV400 lenses offering 100% UVA & UVB protection, these classic aviator sunglasses will make your kid the coolest one around, while having fun at the pool, beach or outdoors.
- DURABLE & GUARANTEED: With flexible rubber frames & impact & shatter-resistant lenses, these shades won’t break when you bend, twist, or step on them. If you lose or break them in the first year, we’ll replace them for free (shipping not included).
- STYLISH & FUN: Step up your child's fashion game & grab a pair of our smart & stylish sunglasses for your child! Choose from different frame designs including hearts, keyholes, navigators & aviators.
- UV PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR: Our UVA/UVB protective sunglasses allow your little one to enjoy life outdoors, protecting their eyes while they play, explore, have awesome adventures & learn new things.
- BABIATORS ON A MISSION: Our mission is to protect your kids' eyes while they play & explore. Enjoy UV-free sun time with our range of children's' eyewear including aviators, navigators, goggles & more!
#4. Tuga Baby/Toddler UV 400 Sunglasses -Best Baby Sunglasses with Strap
Tuga Baby/Toddler UV 400 Sunglasses come with two strap sizes-one for babies, another for kids who are between 2-5 years.That means,buy one pair of Tuga and stay relaxed for the next five years.
For easy carrying and protection,the glasses come with a carrying case.
The polycarbonate lenses are further shatter resistant and can block 100 percent of harmful UV rays. Tuga baby sunglasses are available in multiple colours.
- PROTECTS CHILD'S YOUNG EYES: Fashionable strap around sunglasses for babies / infants / toddlers boys and girls protect against harmful UV rays, rated UV 400. Shatterproof polycarbonate lenses block out 100% of both UVA and UVB damaging sun rays, which can lead to cataracts. Perfect for keeping children's eyes protected while outdoors.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: Set includes kids sunglasses, two (2) stretchy and comfortable neoprene adjustable straps (1 small and 1 large strap) with a hook and loop closure for easy on and off, super cool and re-usable lightweight matching case with zipper closure
- GOGGLES ARE ADJUSTABLE AS THEY GROW: Small sunglass strap for 0 to 2 years. Large sunglass strap for 2 to 5 years, up to 21 inch head circumference. Easily switch straps as your child grows!
- SUNGLASS MEASUREMENTS: Lens width of 45mm, lens height of 27mm, bridge of 18mm
- Our baby sunglasses are a great gift for baby showers, newborns, birthdays, grandchildren! The perfect sun accessory for the beach, pool, any outdoor activity, and can even be used as snow goggles for the little ones. Pair with our Tuga swim sun hats and swimwear for ultimate sun protection.
The best thing about this sunglass is the comfort of polarization which helps the baby the true image even when the glass is on. The banded sunglass ensures that the sunglass stays perfectly fit on the baby's head. There are two sizes of glasses available for this sunglass-one is for age 0-2 years another 2-5 years.
Their award-winning wrap-design prevents the light from coming in even from the side of the glasses. The glass is made of non-toxic material and features a shatter resistant, poly-carbonate and AD Neoprene elastic strap. These are further backed by its 1-year full replacement warranty.
- Ultimate banz have a silicone nose and brow piece and polarized lenses
- Category 3 polarized lenses offer high sun glare reductions and good UV protection
- The lenses have a UV 400 rating for 100% UVA/UVB protection
- The strap is neoprene elastic and matches the chosen color of the sunglasses
- Can be refitted with prescription lenses -8.0/+8.0
It is available in pink and blue-two of the most preferred colors by moms and babies.
#6.Julbo Looping Baby Sunglasses-Best Hinge-less Baby Sunglass
This is one hinge-less baby sunglass,so you don't have worry about your baby's fingers getting stuck int he hinge anymore.Further,the frame can be adjusted using an adjustable band to make a perfect fit to baby's head.It also has an adjustable elastic wrap to ensure a custom fit and its unique wrap design prevents sunlight to come in through the sides.
The grey coloured lenses ensures baby's natural colour development and processing.
- USE CASE: Designed for everyday wear for infants and toddlers (ages 0-18 months) to shield their delicate eyes from the sun’s harmful rays.
- SPECTRON 4/POLYCARBONATE LENSES: This is a category 4 lens with a VLT rate of 5%, it provides the most sun protection. It protects against UVA, B and C rays. The lens has a flash finish and applies a mirror effect to protect delicate eyes.
- VERSATILITY: Reversible frames and no hinges allow children to wear them either way around.
- FIT: Ergonomic profile provides a good grip on the face and head. Extra flat elastic strap keeps glasses firmly in place.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Julbo spent over 125 years building quality, performance products and stands behind them 100%. Julbo warranties all sunglasses and goggles for the original owner against manufacturing defects for the lifetime of the product.
#7.BabyBanz Adventure Banz-Best Baby Girl Sunglasses
This is a perfect baby sunglass for baby girls which is made of shatter resistant baby carbonate glass and built-in silicone to help prevent slippage.The glass is 100% kid-friendly and free from dangerous chemicals.
It features an Award Winning a wrap around design for better stability.
BabyBanz Adventure Banz comes with BabyBanz Adventure Banz and perfect for 0-2 years girls.
- Fashionable UVA & UVB Sun Protection for Infants and Babies Age: 0-2 Yrs. Often, parents overlook their children’s eye protection from the sun. And yet, kids spend much more time outdoors than most adults do, making it extremely important to have year round, reliable protection against those harmful UVA and UVB sun rays. Our team of experts has created the coolest, most innovative and stylish designs to keep your Infant or Baby safe and in fashion at all times.
- Award Winning Designs: Featuring a smart, wrap round design that ensures the sunglasses stay put, as well as a carefully embedded, silicone nose and brow, we make sure your little ones feel super comfortable and perfectly secure. The convenient hook-and-loop closure is specially designed to be extremely practical and easy to use, by both children and their parents.
- Top Quality for Uncompromised Safety: We, at BanZ take your children’s safety seriously. All of our products are 100% kid-friendly and free from dangerous chemicals. Fully CPSIA and Cali. Prop. 65 Compliant and doctor recommended, our baby and toddler sunglasses are parent’s first choice worldwide.
- Risk-Free Purchase: These awesome sunglasses are backed by a 1-year replacement guarantee for breakage. To Benefit from our awesome warranty, simply Register your BanZ purchase on our website with 30 days of purchase. Should anything happen to your BanZ glasses, we will ship a FREE REPLACEMENT pronto.
- Adventure BanZ - Baby Dimensions:Lens Width: 45mm Lens Height: 26mm Bridge Width: 13mm Minimum Head Circumference: 15 IN / 38 CM Maximum Head Circumference: 18.5 IN / 45.5 CM
#8.Real Kids Shades-Best Convertible Sunglasses
As the description suggests that Real Kids Shade baby sunglasses give you the benefit of the both- you can use it with a strap or remove the strap if they baby hates them from time to time.
It has a soft rubber material frame which is much more durable than an ordinary hard plastic and comes in multiple vibrant color combinations to choose from.
- 100% UVA/UVB PROTECTION: Full spectrum UV protection to keep children’s eyes safe from the sun’s damaging rays.
- SHATTERPROOF POLYCARBONATE LENSES: Lightweight while providing excellent impact resistance and optical clarity. RX compatible if you prefer to use prescription lenses.
- UNBREAKABLE FRAMES: Comfortable, unbreakable, flexible frames that stay put no matter what with SOFT, ADJUSTABLE STRAPS. Bend ‘em, flex ‘em, you can’t break ‘em!
- WRAP AROUND FRAMES: Minimizes exposure to peripheral light to provide maximum sun protection.
- TONS OF OPTIONS: Available in a variety of FUN COLORS, THREE SIZES (Baby 0+, Toddler 2+ and Kid 4+) and optional POLARIZED LENSES.
The lenses are able to block 100% of UVA and UVB rays and grey colour lenses ensure that the baby sees the true colour.It also has wraparound design to block the sunlight coming through the side of the glasses to protect your baby further.
Real Kids Shade baby sunglasses are available in three different sizes (Baby 0+, Toddler 2+ and Kid 4+)
These polycarbonate frame baby sunglasses are perfect for your baby boy and ensures his comfort and safety.It has a velcro strap which is easy to adjust as per baby's head size.
The lenses are able to protect 100% of UVA and UVB rays.
Sun Smarties Sunglasses are available in two sizes -one for the infant from 0-24 months and for kids from 2-5 years of age. The glasses come in both green and pink colour.
- Pediatrician recommended, because our baby and kids' sunglasses block 100% of UV rays
- Sturdy shades are impact and shatter resistant, with polycarbonate lenses and a stretchy neoprene strap that ensures they stay put
- Pinch-proof glasses frame is such high quality; it's approved for use with kids' prescription lenses
- Only children's sunglasses with lenses that can't be pushed in (only out), for greater safety
- Award winning: winner of the iParenting Media Award
10.Hipsterkid Sunglasses-Most Stylish
We have saved the best for the last. If you are looking for a baby sunglass which does all the job like other sunglasses and at the same time looks classy on baby's eyes,this should be your pick.
This baby sunglass from Hipsterkid looks just like an adult sunglass and available variety of colors and frame patterns.
- POLARIZED: All Hipsterkid sunglasses are polarized so babies can explore a big, bright world without damaging their eyes.
- BENDABLE: Our baby sunglasses are made from the flexible material that's used for teethers. Chew on that.
- FASHION STATEMENT: All styles are gender neutral so they'll be equally cute/cool on a boy or a girl.
- SAFETY FIRST: 100% UVA and UVB Protection ✅BPA, Phthalate, and PVC free ✅Shatterproof Lenses ✅
- EASY REPLACEMENT: Hipsterkid sunglasses are guaranteed. Break 'em, drop 'em, lose 'em, it doesn't matter! To redeem your free replacement, sunglasses must have been purchased within the past year and be registered on the Hipsterkid website. (US orders only; shipping not included)
The glass comes with a strap which can be used as per the baby's need.Further the frames are quite flexible and shatter resistant.We love the fact that the lenses are polarized and can protect your babies against both UVA and UVB rays.
With rising global warming and changing weather condition sunglasses are now must. And considering baby's eyes are much more sensitive than adults it is absolutely necessary that you put on a sunglass on baby's eyes.
We have often observed that parents take necessary precaution when it comes to baby's skin,either by applying a baby sunscreen or baby sunhat to protect them against those UVA and UVB rays.But eyes are often missed.
We believe, this article will help you further to understand the importance of a baby sunglass and to buy the best baby sunglass for your little one.
This post contains affiliate links, which means every time you make a purchase using a link we will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.