Summer is here. Which means it's time for your baby to play outside. Babies will be the happiest if you let them play outside. But at the same time, you have to ensure that they stay protected.
A baby's skin is much more sensitive than an adult and exposure to harmful sun rays for a longer time will not only cause severe sunburn, If you don't take adequate precaution on time, it might lead to severe & permanent skin damage at the later age of your child.
So before you take your baby outside this summer or let him or her play on the beach make sure you are using enough protection, which starts with using a good quality sunscreen lotion.
Keep reading, as in this article, we have come up with the list of best sunscreens for babies.
But before that, let's us explain some of the very common questions on baby sunscreen.
What makes Baby Sunscreen so special?How are they different from the Sunscreens that adults use?
Baby sunscreen mostly contains mineral blockers, where the adult sunscreens contain mineral blockers as well as chemical blockers. Chemical-based sunscreens are not safe to use on delicate baby skin. In fact, in many cases, dermatologists recommend baby sunscreen to adults who have sensitive skin.
Sun rays emit two types of harmful ultraviolet lights which are known as UVA and UVB which can cause sunburns, skin damage, and the worst- skin cancer. And exposure to these at early age can even lead to skin cancer (or commonly known as melanoma) later.
The use of a good quality baby sunscreen which can block both UVA and UVB will be the best solution in preventing both burns and long-term skin damage
What are UVA and UVB rays?
The sun emits two different types of Ultraviolet or UV radiation which ultimately reach our skin. These are UVA and UVB. Though both are harmful in their own way, UVA is considered to be more dangerous than UVB.UVA and UVB rays have different wavelengths which are measured in nanometers(nm).
UVA light is known as long-wave light which has a wavelength of 320 nm to 400, and 95% of them reach the surface of the earth and further penetrate to our skin.UVA is considered a silent killer because you might not feel or notice the damage it causes your skin, but these rays can reach deep inside the skin and cause severe damage in every layer.
On the other side, UVB ray has a wavelength 290 nm to 320 nm, which might be less compared to UVA, but it is directly responsible for sunburn and other visible changes to the skin’s surface which can further cause even skin cancers. The peak hours of UVB is between 10 am to 2 pm.
At what age should you start putting sunscreen on babies?
This is the most common question asked by almost every parents. Till the age of six months, it is always recommended that the baby stays in the house. Because before six months, babies have extremely sensitive skin. So direct sunlight should be avoided as much as possible.
Moreover, sunscreens are not at all recommended till your baby turns 6 months old.Regulatory bodies like the US Food and Drug Administration(FDA) has clearly mentioned to avoid sunscreen for infants under six months.
If at all you need to put on baby sunscreen consult with your doctor first.As an alternative you can use other available options like umbrellas,canopies and baby sun hats over sunscreen.
Why Doctors don't recommend sunscreen before 6 months?
A baby's skin is less mature compared to other elder kids and adults. Further, they have a higher surface-area to body-weight ratio. It means their chance to get exposed to the chemical is much higher than adults, causing a higher risk of chemical side effects.
When Should you put baby sunscreen?
Sunscreen should be put every time you are planning to take your baby outside in the direct sunlight. Be it summer or winter. Many people have a misconception that during winter UV rays are less as stronger than summer and there is no need to use sunscreen at this time. This is not true at all. Regardless of temperature, you should always take precaution as even the minor sun rays exposure is harmful.
What are the different types of baby Sunscreens?
Although there are many sunscreens available in the market, those can be clubbed into two categories.
- Chemical Based
- Mineral Based
The difference between chemical based baby sunscreens and mineral sunscreens are is the ingredients that are used within thee sunscreens and how they work on skin.
Chemical Based Baby Sunscreen
Chemical based sunscreens are also known as Traditional or Non-mineral sunscreens. Classic sunscreens use chemical based active ingredients which can absorb and dissipate UVA/UVB rays.It should be applied to the skin at least 30 minutes prior to the sun exposure.
Mineral Based Baby Sunscreen
Mineral sunscreens mainly use mineral active ingredients like Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide which can further scatter and reflect UVA/UVB rays. This can be used for immediate protection before going out.
Many parents have concern about using titanium dioxide baby sunscreen and prefer zinc oxide based sunscreen.Because zinc is a natural mineral which is found normally in our body.
The only drawback in using a mineral based sunscreen is that mineral-based sunscreens are generally thicker and they a white residue on the skin which is clearly visible.
How to Select the Best Screen for Babies?
Before buying a baby sunscreen for babies or kids make sure you consider all the below points.
What are the ingredients that you should avoid in Baby Sunscreen?
Now that you have a fair idea about what to check in baby sunscreen,let's have a look at the ingredients you should avoid while buying a sunscreen for babies.
Apart from this, keep an eye on the chemical contents like Phthalates,Propylene glycol and Methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone and avoid using these products as much as possible.While we are certain that the most of the popular baby sunscreens do not contain these harmful chemicals,we would suggest to read the bottle label and double check on the components used.
Organic Baby Sunscreen for Babies
Organic is the buzzword nowadays.Be it food,cosmetic products or anything manufacturers are coming with new organic products.Baby sunscreens are not an exception to this.Keep reading as we will also list some of the best organic baby sunscreens available in the market.
Best Sunscreens for Babies
We have reviewed the all baby sunscreens and come up with this list of best baby sunscreens.We have further categorized the list based on the following
- Natural Sunscreen for Babies
- Hypoallergenic Sunscreen for Babies
- Sunscreen for Babies with Eczema
- Sunscreen for Babies with Sensitive Skin
- Waterproof Sunscreen for Babies
- Organic Sunscreen for Babies
Natural Sunscreen for Babies
To avoid chemical reaction on your baby's sensitive skin doctors always recommend using natural sunscreen as much as possible.After analyzing all the features and reviews we have narrowed down our list to these natural baby sunscreens below:
- 100% NATURAL SAFE INGREDIENTS Our Natural Sunscreen for babies toddler's and children is made of all natural ingredients to ensure a natural and healthy feeling
- HIGHLY RATED FOR SAFETY The Natural Sunscreen is safe for babies children and adults no synthetic or chemical Ingredients are ever used
- WATER RESISTANT Our Natural Sunscreen for children can be applied on the childs body and face and is water resistant for up to 40 minutes on each application
- CRUELTY FREE GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN - Our Natural Sunscreen ingredients and formulas are never tested on animals Loving Naturals is a part of the Leaping Bunny Program
- BROAD SPECTRUM UVA / UVB PROTECTION - Our Natural Sunscreen for Babies offers a SPF 30 + Coverage which we achieve through a synergistic combination of non-nano zinc oxide and organic oils
- SIX INGREDIENTS - Gentle and effective broad-spectrum protection with just 6 ingredients! No oxybenzone, octinoxate, or other chemical active sun screening agents.
- ZINC OXIDE - Broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA & UVB rays using safe non-nano mineral Zinc Oxide.
- WATER RESISTANT - Certified organic base of Sunflower Oil, Beeswax & Vitamin E is ultra-moisturizing and soothing. Easy application and water resistant for at least 40 minutes.
- HYPOALLERGENIC - Pediatrician tested and approved safe for babies and kids. Hypoallergenic formula is safe for sensitive skin.
- REEF FRIENDLY - BPA & phthalate-free tube made from #2 recyclable plastic. Biodegradable and safe for coral reefs and other ecosystems. Certified cruelty-free.
- Baby safe, mineral sunscreen. Active ingredient = Titanium dioxide.
- Highly rated for ingredient safety by Environmental Working Group (EWG) for the past 9 years
- FORMULATED FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: contains naturally based and organic ingredients, no added fragrance, is allergy tested, gluten-free, soy-free, oat-free, dairy-free, and nut-free (except coconut)
- EFFECTIVE: Award-winning effectiveness from WebMD, She Knows Parenting, Babble.com and others.
- MINERAL BASED: Sunscreen sits ON TOP of the skin and is NOT absorbed into the skin like chemical sunscreens. Protects from both UVA and UVB rays (broad spectrum)
Hypoallergenic Sunscreen for Babies
Hypoallergenic sunscreens are for best for babies whose skin is super sensitive and easily react to the other chemical based sunscreens.This is the list of 5 hypoallergenic baby sunscreens for babies whose skin easily reacts to lotions. These five baby sunscreens have all been dermatologist-tested and approved.As per user reviews,using of these sunscreens will have the least chance on having having skin allergies.
- 80 Minutes Water & Sweat Resistant
- For Face, Lips, Nose and Ears
- Developed for super sensitive skin and baby and kid safe.
- Formulated without: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano particles
- Formulated with plant derived and certified organic ingredients
- Formulated with NeoNourish Seed Oil Blend: our own blend of tomato, sunflower, cranberry, black cumin and raspberry seed oils
- Perfect for high exposure areas and targeted protection Broad spectrum SPF 50+ UVA + UVB protection Water resistant (80 minutes)
- Tear free
- BABY SUNSCREEN: Burt's Bees Baby Nourishing Mineral Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 30 helps protect baby's delicate skin from the harmful effects of the sun.
- SPF BABY LOTION: Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide provide broad spectrum SPF 30 protection, while Vitamin E and Coconut Extract keep baby's skin super soft.
- NATURAL LOTION: The 98.9% natural baby sunblock is hypoallergenic and formulated without phthalates, parabens, petrolatum or SL.
- WATER RESISTANT: For use on the face and body, this baby sunscreen is water resistant up to 40 minutes.
- BABY SUNBLOCK: Moisturize baby's deliciated skin while protecting from the sun with this SPF 30 sunscreen by Burt's Bees.
- 6 INGREDIENTS - All certified organic and mineral ingredients. 100% toxin free, biodegradable, reef safe, no petrochemicals, cruelty-free, eco-friendly. Safe sunscreen for Hawaii, Key West and Florida Keys.
- GOOD FOR BABY, INFANT + KIDS - Enriched with non-GMO Vitamin E and Vitamin D. Moisturizing, hypoallergenic, non-irritating, fragrance free, won't drip or sting eyes. Approved by dermatologists and pediatricians.
- EFFECTIVE - 25% non-nano zinc oxide provides true broad spectrum protection. Made for sensitive skin. Don't worry about sunburn, skin irritations or eczema flareups.
- NON TOXIC - All Certified Organic and Mineral ingredients. Non aerosol, toxin free, biodegradable, reef safe, NO petrochemicals, cruelty free, tear free, pregnancy safe. NO oxybenzone. NO octinoxate. NO junk chemicals.
- EASY APPLICATION - Kneed tube to mix ingredients (we don't add chemicals to keep it homogenized). Dot, spread and rub. Goes on thicker than common sunscreens. A little goes a long way. See exactly where you're applying it.
Best Sunscreen for Babies with Eczema
As per the National National Eczema Association’s these three baby sunscreens have achieved their Seal of Acceptance.If your baby has been diagnosed with eczema these baby sunscreens can be used on them without fear of having skin irritations.
- 3 fluid ounce tube of Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 50 for superior broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays for your little one's skin
- This effective mineral sunscreen lotion is as mild as water to skin and applies to baby's skin easily to lock in moisture without stinging or irritation. It's suitable for use on both the face and body
- Specially formulated for baby's delicate skin, it contains naturally sourced 100 percentage zinc oxide active and skin soothing oat, and is both sweat and water resistant for up to 80 minutes
- From the pediatrician recommended brand, this sunscreen lotion features a tear free formula that is non greasy, hypoallergenic and paraben free, phthalate free and fragrance free. It is available in a convenient, TSA friendly travel size
- The baby sunscreen has been awarded the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance and is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective broad spectrum sunscreen
- [ 100% NATURALLY SOURCED & NO NASTIES ] Naturally sourced physical sunscreen ingredients and free of parabens and sulfates
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) that help restore and maintain its natural protective barrier
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM ] Protect baby's delicate skin from sun's damaging UVA and UVB rays
- [ GENTLE ON SKIN ] Hypoallergenic, non-irritating and fragrance free to avoid fragrance irritation
- [ IDEAL FOR ALL SKIN TYPES ] Water resistant (80 minutes)
- 3-fluid ounce tube of Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Mineral Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 50 provides baby with superior sun protection against harmful UVA & UVB rays to prevent sunburn
- Specially formulated baby mineral sunscreen lotion is made with naturally-sourced 100% zinc oxide and contains Purescreen Technology to absorb, reflect and scatter dangerous sunrays
- This baby zinc sunscreen is made with a unique tear-free formula so it won't sting eyes and is free of fragrance, parabens, phthalates, dyes and irritating chemicals
- Specially formulated for baby's delicate skin, our sensitive skin baby sunscreen has been awarded the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance
- Our hypoallergenic baby zinc sunscreen is dermatologist-tested and designed to be water-resistant for 80 minutes
Best Sunscreen For Babies With Sensitive Skin
Some babies have very sensitive skin if not eczema,which will still need extra special sunscreen products.This is the list 5 best sunscreens for babies who have sensitive skin.
- First sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care requirements and top-rated by EWG since creation in 2010 with a "1" rating. Recipient of a tremendous amount of awards
- Free of biologically harmful chemicals like avobenzone, oxybenzone, paraben, phthalates, PABA, 1,4 dioxane, and UV chemical absorbers
- Highly effective with an SPF at 50+. Highest level of water resistance per the FDA (80-minute water resistance) and broad-spectrum coverage for UVA and UVB
- Reef Friendly: Free of known reef damaging chemicals and highly biodegradable. Non-nano zinc oxide formulation, non-aerosol formulation
- Applies and absorbs easily without the oily feeling or obtrusive smell of traditional sunscreens. Leaping Bunny certified cruelty free, gluten free & vegan
- 100% CERTIFIED ORGANIC SUNSCREEN - Keep your little one safe from harmful UVA, UVB rays naturally with this HANDMADE, non-allergenic, chemical-free, irritant-free, certified organic, baby sunscreen.
- 2019 EWG RATING "1" TOP PICK - Nurture My Body's organic sunscreen has made it to the top of the list recommended by the EWG with a rating of 1, the lowest on the EWG scale. Our moisturizing sunscreen is chemical-free, blended with 8 gentle ingredients including Zinc Oxide, Jojoba Oil, Shea Butter and Vitamin E to protect your face and body. Everything you need, nothing you don't.
- FDA-APPROVED ZINC OXIDE - Active ingredient non-nano, uncoated zinc oxide is the ONLY FDA-approved sunscreen for infants less than 6 months of age.
- SENSITIVE SKIN WELCOME - Safe for all skin types. Our formula is also Pediatrician & Dermatologist tested, tear-free, non-comedogenic, never tested on animals, and Made in the USA.
- REEF SAFE AND ECO-FRIENDLY - packaged in BPA-free, recyclable (#1), and ultraviolet-proof PET plastic bottles. Our plastic bottles do NOT leach chemicals even at high heat.
#3.La Roche-Posay Anthelios Kids Sunscreen for Face and Body SPF 60
- UVA/UVB broad protection SPF 60, water resistant 80 minutes
- With antioxidants and Vitamin E
- Gentle kids sunscreen developed for children's sensitive skin
#4.Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen SPF 30
- WE LOVE THE REEF - To help protect delicate coral reefs, our Baby sunscreen contains no Oxybenzone or Octinoxate
- MINERAL SUNSCREEN, NO CHEMICAL ACTIVE INGREDIENTS - Protects your skin by acting like thousands of tiny mirrors that reflect UV rays away before they enter your body
- DERMATOLOGIST-RECOMMENDED BROAD SPECTRUM UVA/UVB SPF 30+ - Mineral active Zinc Oxide provides true broad spectrum protection
- PARABEN-FREE & FRAGRANCE-FREE - Contains no fragrances or parabens, making it ideal for babies' delicate skin
- WATER RESISTANT- Up to 40 minutes water resistance, so you stay protected longer
- 100% Natural
- Shields skin from pollutants like smog and dust
- Ultra Water Resistant (80 minutes)
- 70%+ certified organic ingredients
- Plankton and organic beeswax naturally boost spf protection
Best Waterproof Sunscreen for Babies
Babies love to play in the water during summers.Normal baby sunscreens are not usually waterproof. If you expect that your baby will spend a lot of time playing in waters,this list of best waterproof sunscreen for babies will help you to make a right choice.
- Bare Republic Mineral SPF 50 Baby Sunscreen Lotion (3.4 oz), White
- Extra sensitive formula blends gently into the skin
- Enhanced with plant-derived ingredients
- Compact, perfect for traveling
- Cruelty-free, paraben-free formula
- Maximum Banana Boat Protection
- Very Water Resistant
- White lotion let's you see that your kids are covered
- Also available in SPF 30 and SPF 50
- Tear free, won't sting or irritate eyes or skin
- Dermatologist, ophthalmologist and pediatrician tested
- Photostable, broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection, Water resistant (80 minutes)
- Fragrance free, oil free, dye free, Moisturizing formula with aloe to help prevent dryness
- Hypoallergenic and ultra-gentle formula with zinc oxide
- Gentle fragrance-free sunscreen lotion for kids and babies (6 months and up). Infused with natural moringa oil; good for sensitive skin
- Top rated by EWG with a ''1" and Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free
- Highest SPF 50 broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen (per FDA compliance); Highest level of water resistance (80 minutes)
- Free of the harmful chemicals oxybenzone and avobenzone; paraben free, PABA free
- Does not burn or sting the skin or eyes; made in the USA
Best Organic Sunscreen for Babies
Not all the baby sunscreens are organic. Most of us think that natural sunscreens are and organic sunscreens are same,which is not true.Here is the list of the most popular and best organic baby sunscreens available in the market.
- All-new SPF 50+ sun protection specially formulated to be non-irritating and ideal for babies and sensitive skin
- Water-resistant (80 minutes)
- Formulated with Shea butter and coconut oil to help keep skin feeling soft and hydrated, without leaving a heavy residue
- Clinically Tested Dermatologically Tested Pediatrically Tested Hypoallergenic Fragrance-free
- made without: chemical sunscreens (i.e. oxybenzone and octinoxate), PABA, parabens, Nano-particles, fragrances, gluten, dyes, or most common allergens
- TSA and travel size friendly SPF 30 broad spectrum sunscreen lotion
- Sweat & water resistant (80 minutes)
- No oxybenzone, octinoxate, PABA, nanoparticles, Vitamin A, and recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation
- 100% vegetarian ingredients and natural fragrance
- No: gluten, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, animal testing, artificial colors or synthetic fragrances
- YOUR SKIN WILL THANK YOU: With the help of our SPF 25 mineral sunscreen, you can stay safe from the sun without exposing you or your family to toxic chemicals. Unlike chemical sunscreens which penetrate your skin, this sunblock carefully crafts a barrier - providing an impenetrable layer of protection that sits on top of your skin. Finally, safe sun protection that'll make you smile.
- SUNSCREEN MADE SAFE AND SIMPLE: Ever looked at the ingredients list on a tube of conventional sunscreen? It ain't pretty. That's why we've taken special care to include only safe, natural ingredients in our mineral sunscreen. Aloe vera, coconut oil, and shea butter nourish your skin, while non-nano Zinc Oxide keeps the sun's rays away. It's efficient, effection protection made simple.
- LONG LASTING AND WATER RESISTANT: You don't need parabens, chemicals, oxybenzone, or other harmful chemicals to get long lasting protection. Greet the sun with our natural mineral sunscreen and forget about slathering yourself with toxic chemicals. It will protect you in the water for up to 80 minutes.
- REEF AND MARINE SAFE: Studies show that oxybenzone, a chemical found sunscreens, contributes to coral bleaching and leaves reefs deformed. We are passionate about keeping our oceans safe. We crafted this sun block to be environmentally safe for use in Eco parks or reefs.
- LOVE IT OR LET US KNOW: We know you're gonna love what our SPF 25 sunblock can do. We're so confident that we'll even guarantee it. Every product we sell comes with a 30 Day, 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. If at any point over the next month you don't love your sunblock, send it back and we'll give you a full refund - no awkward questions required.
- MORE COSMETICALLY APPEALING - The titanium dioxide and zinc oxide used is micronized, no coarse particles. The protection is less visible, yet remains on the skin's surface and won't absorb into your skin
- 2019 EWG RATING "1" TOP PICK - Tropical Sands SPF 50 made it to the top of the list recommended by the EWG with a rating of 1, the lowest on the EWG scale (1-10). Our SPF 50 is one of the only SPF 50 sunscreens to receive this prestigious rating.
- CERTIFIED BIODEGRADABLE SUNSCREEN! Safe to use in nature parks and other areas where chemical contamination is a concern. Formulated with GREEN TEA, a powerful antioxidant.
- NO chemical fragrances, NO chemical preservatives (parabens) or emulsifiers. Proudly made in the USA!
- NOTE: As a natural mineral sunscreen, this does not fully absorb into the skin (for your safety) and may leave a white gleam on skin.
- POWERFUL PROTECTION FOR SENSITIVE SKIN - Broad-spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 coverage offers gentle yet powerful sun protection in a formula that is water resistant for up to 80 minutes, and lightly scented with calming lavender essential oil.
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC MINERAL SUNSCREEN - Our Everyday formula uses non-nano zinc oxide and titanium dioxide for powerful sun protection, free from synthetic chemicals, while certified organic ingredients like coconut and sunflower oils nourish the skin.
- HOW MINERAL SUNSCREENS WORK - Unlike chemical sunscreens, mineral/physical sunscreens aren't absorbed into the skin (reducing risk of irritation). The minerals act like tiny mirrors to reflect the sun's rays off the skin, offering strong protection!
- REEF SAFE & CRUELTY-FREE - Our formulas are biodegradable and safe for coral reefs. They are vegan and Leaping Bunny certified cruelty-free, so we mean it when we say we're safe for people and the planet!
- TIPS FOR APPLICATION - Mineral sunscreens can have a slight white tint to them. To reduce whiteness, begin with moisturized skin. Cover one small area of skin at a time. If it's white, keep rubbing!
- ZINC OXIDE - Broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA & UVB rays using the safe active ingredient Non-Nano Zinc Oxide.
- HYPOALLERGENIC - Safe for even the most sensitive skin and contains nothing harsh or artificial, including oxybenzone, octinoxate or other chemical actives.
- WATER RESISTANT - Organic ingredient base of Sunflower Oil, Beeswax and Vitamin E is ultra-moisturizing and soothing. Water resistant for at least 40 minutes.
- GREAT SCENT - Naturally scented with certified organic Tangerine and Vanilla to keep the little ones happy.
- REEF FRIENDLY - Biodegradable, planet friendly and safe for coral reefs and other ecosystems. Made with BPA & phthalate-free #2 recyclable plastic and certified cruelty-free.
How to Put Sunscreen on Babies
Don't just put the baby sunscreen.For getting the best results and protection you should definitely use it in the right way.These tips below will give you an idea on how to put sunscreens on babies.
Wrapping it Up
That's all. We believe after reading this article you now have a fair idea on the different types of baby sunscreens and some of the questions that are asked by the parents all the time.
Some baby sunscreens are pretty expensive and there is a reason for that as well.If you compare the ingredients and feature they offer with other available sunscreens in the market,you can easily understand it yourself.Also don't ignore using baby umbrellas or baby sun hats to ensure an extra layer of protection, even if you are using the best baby sunscreen in the market.
Last update on 2019-08-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API